Wednesday 23 January 2008

Age Before Beauty

Yesterday’s musical question gave me a little food for thought this morning. As much as I see myself as a bit of a spring-chicken solely because I was a nipper when Wham, A-ha and Culture Club were making singles, the reality today is quite the opposite – I’ll be hitting the big 3-0 soon.

The fact I’m writing this might make it seem an issue to me, but it doesn’t really bother me that much to be perfectly honest – I don’t act or do that much differently to ten years ago, although perhaps I might go about things in a shade more sensible fashion. And the hangovers last 2 days now.

In fact, I’m almost happier being a bit older these days. I’ve always looked up to and respected people with a couple of years on me, and it’s interesting to think about that effect in football terms.

When I bumped into Deano in the West Brom car park the other day, he was exactly the kind of person to look up to. 37 years old and rewarded with a new contract, for his sake I wish him the best playing Premiership football next season.

It got me thinking about the rest of the Charlton squad, and I was amazed to realise that only Amdy Faye, Ben Thatcher, Chris Powell, Andy Gray and Matt Holland are older than me. Realistically, only Gray and Holland will play again this season.

Yep, Cap’n Reidy is in nappies compared to me. I could have nicked Paddy McCarthy’s dinner money. I even went to the same school as Darren Ambrose, but swapped College for cross-country runs before our paths met.

We’ve got a surprisingly youthful squad here, even if it is at the upper end of the 20's. And for that reason, I think the introduction of Andy Gray could be a good compliment to the mix.

When you look at the team, who’s the guy galvanising the side and pushing people on? Who’s the one who puts in 100% every match? Who’s the player who always, always comes over to the fans at the end of the game, regardless of the result?

Matt Holland.

The oldest squad member after Chris Powell, and at a ripe 33, I’d imagine Holland's wise head is a massive help in the dressing room through what is a difficult season. If he speaks, I’d listen – and I hope the youngsters feel the same way.

If another old head in the form of Andy Gray can step up to the challenge and take some of the burden away from Matty this season, that’s another feather in his cap in my book.

2 comments:

Pedro45 said...

I think Chrissie would like to be 33 again!

Anonymous said...

Your hangovers have always lasted two days!

Anyway, I thought you was 35 this year.