Monday 7 January 2008

Cashing In The Chips

Well, I've made up for my plasticity after staying away from The Valley on Saturday – I've got my West Brom ticket for my first ever trip to The Hawthorns, and I've finally contracted Cup Fever.

Why? Well, it's the prospect of another away tie to come, and Peterborough lie in wait for the victors.

I always enjoy the road trips, and you've only got to look at this season's results to see why. So far I've had the fun of Stoke, Palace, Coventry, Hull, Preston and Norwich – Stoke result aside, that's a pretty good haul.

The team seems to dig in so much more away from The Valley – perhaps the pressure to perform isn't as great, the weight of expectation lessened, the support stronger... only the players can be sure what makes them tick.

One thing I know I can rely on against the Baggies next week is a bit of comeback from a certain comedian pictured above – Frank Skinner owes us one. He's the one on the right by the way - apologies for blanking out my boat-race, but us bloggers have to keep some level of mystery... ;)

I met him a few years ago in a London pub and he was a genuinely likeable guy. Didn't know me from Adam, but chatted for a while about random stuff, football, the 4-1 stuffing they dished out at The Valley the previous season, and staying up thanks to the Palace result. I wished Frank well for West Brom and he did the same for us.

Well Frankie boy, it's time for me to cash in my chips. I'll take a result next week please if that's alright with you. Nothing flashy necessary – no hat-tricks in 10 minutes like a certain Mr Earnshaw was gifted, a nice tidy 1-0 will suffice.

After all, you'll want to concentrate on the league won't you? Your mate Adrian Chiles must be gagging for West Brom to be back on Match Of The Day!

Come on matey, you know it makes sense... I've another away trip to plan!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was interested to find you online, Bas. just wondered how long you've been a charlton fan?

Any chance you were you part of the old first division's worst supported club /'lowest average' attendence ever years ? or those dark Upton Park days back in 91 ?

Also - whats your all time best Charlton Team ?

bas said...

Oddly enough, I'm an unashamed relative newcomer to The Valley fold! Season ticket holder now for 5 years, when I came to London 6 years ago my Dad's Maze Hill roots helped me choose my team. Shame he was a United supporter.

So, sadly I missed Selhust, Upton Park, and the return to The Valley whilst being brainwashed as a kid. Remembered watching reports on telly about the Curbs/Gritt management team, and saw the playoff final on the telly in my Uni days.

So I've no claim to go back too many years to pick my fave side, but you have to start somewhere! :)

The best I've seen was the class of 03/04, and my fave game when I went to Southampton and we lost 3-2. May sound an odd choice, but that game was a cracker. Just a shame Parker buggered off a month later! :(

Anonymous said...

Well good to have you on board, Bas. We need all we can get, as I'm sure you know. And you didn't miss much, apart from loads of empty seats to stretch out in front of every game.

Good to see someone take the time to discuss the team in such detail. Although, i bet you miss being a Utd supporter now!

All the best, lad

Anonymous said...

Hi - have just discovered your interesting blog. You should contact Forever Charlton to work out how to upload links to your posts (unless you don't wish to).

Regards, New York Addick