Monday 19 November 2007

One From The Training Ground

What a cracker that third goal was last week eh? Zheng Zhi with his head of all things. "Nothing like a spot of luck from a free kick" I thought while traveling back from SE7. That was until I got some insider info the other day - ZZ's blinder was a rehearsed set piece!

Nope, not a typo or deluded info from the bloke at the pub who's dog's aunt's mother's brother is the postman at Sparrow's Lane - this is from the brains of Pard's himself.

Saturday's stadium tour at The Valley revealed a few interesting nuggets in the changing rooms, and I don't mean the Gent's after a visit from Reidy. No Siree. In between the magnetic pitch whiteboard and a flip chart with enough spelling mistakes to put myself to shame, I stumbled upon the Set Pieces boards. Yep, this was one from the training ground folks - who'da thought we did tactics in the fizzies?

"Attacking Wide Free Kick Left" - Thomas peels off behind the wall, McIwelumo and Sodje attack the centre, leaving ZZ room to spare at the back post to crack one in. You wouldn't believe it but they only chuffing well pulled it off.

I left with a warm, confident glow - I know what Reidy's up to when he's holding an arm up from a left-side free kick. I know why Fortune's only up there for corners. I can even confirm Thomas does some work off the ball that doesn't involve 20 step-overs.

The one explaining Lloyd Sam's desire to put the local mole population in danger at corner kicks was strangely absent, but I guess you can't give all the secrets away eh Pards? ;)

No comments: